Thursday, April 22, 2010

Week 64: Is resting more even possible at this point? (week 33 of pregnancy)

Well, I went to the doctor for my monthly checkup only to be told that I needed to rest more. Apparently my blood pressure is a little high.

Rest more? More? Is that even a possibility?

Okay, I know it is possible because I´ve heard the bedrest horror stories, but come on. I was not exactly accepting the idea of rest with much enthusiasm before. And now I need more rest? What do I even do in a day besides house chores and this blog? All of my current activities are pretty inactive ones tailored to this idea of getting rest, highly encouraged by my doctor and my husband. I work on different ministry things on the computer, so besides an impending case of carpal tunnel I think that´s fine. I sometimes sew, but that I do sitting down. I make bracelets and other crafty things, again, sitting down. My chores are limited to what my husband thinks is appropriate based on his idea of resting, so I only do the easy things like cooking and washing dishes. I wash the clothes, for example, but Jairo hangs them up on the line. So really, more rest?

The only thing I really get to do every day that is not resting is go on a walk with Jairo around the neighborhood. Even that I don´t get to do every day, because Jairo won´t take me if I´ve been complaining of pain or contractions, for example. I know he´s just trying to take care me and the baby, but it still annoys me how much everyone treats me like I´m so breakable! Okay, maybe I am a little fragile at this point, but I just don´t think we should exaggerate the fact.

This is one of those cases where I have to submit to my doctor (and husband...enforcer of my doctor´s commands) for the good of the baby if not for myself. The reality is that I cannot take care of the baby if I don´t take care of me, because we are so interconnected. So, while it generally involves much sighing and rolling of the eyes, and occasionally a few tears when I have to miss out on activities I enjoy, I do try to rest. After all, resting will never be as easy as it is now! Soon I will have a little one to look after, and once I´ve recovered from labor no one will be encouraging me to rest! Still, I think baby and I are going to have the habit of taking long walks and getting out of the house. Hopefully baby agrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment