Friday, April 16, 2010

Week 22: Homesick...or would that be Foodsick?

Well, I’ve noticed that lately I am starting to really miss US food. It’s not that I don’t like Ecuadorian food—I do! It’s just that I’m craving Thai food, turkey burgers, sausage egg and cheese sandwiches from Dunkin Donuts, Frappucinos from Starbucks, grilled cheese sandwiches, my dad’s chili, and anything Italian.

It’s nice living in another culture with its own language, customs and traditional dishes, but what I’m starting to miss about my home culture is the fact that there are so many cultures in one place that you have endless possibilities!

On the plus side, I have been eating much more fruit here, and Ecuador has tons of tropical fruits that the US doesn’t have, and that’s helping me stay content in the culinary department. That, and the fact that my mom and my friend Tara have sent me some goodies from the US! Thank you to both of you, by the way!

I guess when you think about another culture it all seems so romantic, until you go live there and it becomes your culture and you start getting a little burnt out on it! Well, at least on the food!

No comments:

Post a Comment