Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Week 60: My birthday week! (week 29 of pregnancy)

This week is my birthday week! The festivities actually started on the last day of week 59, but I figured it would be better to record it all together.

Actually, the festivities started off on a sad note. The day before my birthday, Jairo woke me up with the news that Patas, our littlest bunny, had died. Apparently she somehow got stuck in some part of the cage, but we´re still not really sure what happened. Well, the fact that she was my favorite and also the tiniest of the three combined with pregnancy hormones made for a really rough morning. I cried for hours while Jairo was at church, while I was supposed to be, you guessed it, resting. I brought the other little bunny, Rabo, inside and put him in the bathroom (for lack of anywhere else to put him) because I was so terrified that something might happen to him too. Orejas is huge and could never get stuck in any part of the cage, so I let her stay where she was. Finally I decided to get up and straighten the house, since I wasn´t actually resting but crying, and that calmed me down a little. There was very little food in the house, so I called Jairo after he got out of church to ask him if he wanted me to meet him at the market. He said he would pick up a few things and be home later, and I should just ¨rest¨.

He took a while to come home and had bought very few things, which surprised me. I didn´t take too much notice of it, though. He told me to get ready to go out and we would buy a few things at the store by our house, and then he started straightening up the house. (Yet another thing I should have noticed as strange, but did not...either thanks to my emotional stupor or my pregnant cluelessness.) I accepted this idea with no thought at all and got ready to go out. I suggested that we go to a restaurant because I was pretty hungry, but Jairo assured me that there was nowhere open right now (which I bought, although it was ridiculous!) and we would buy me a snack and he would cook. (Sold!) He was acting a little weird with some random phone calls to our friend who lives close by us, which annoyed me, but I still really thought nothing of it. I was focused on that snack he promised me.

When we got home I stopped, stunned, at the rabbit cage (where Jairo had replaced Rabo before we left, assuring me that he would be fine). There was little black bunny in the cage. My first thought was that the whole thing about Patas dying had been some cruel joke (I didn´t go out to see the body or anything...I can´t even handle things like that), but then I realized that this particular black bunny was much, much tinier, like a little baby bunny, and had different fur. I stood there like an idiot, not really understanding at all until Jairo said, ¨Happy birthday! I got you a new bunny! Do you want to hold her?¨ I started to cry a little bit, but those few happy tears, not the sad, mourning tears I had cried earlier, and said ¨YES!¨ She was absolutely adorable! I had never seen such a small bunny before, and she cuddled right up to me as I held her. We took her inside and I sat on the couch, only half-noticing that there was a backpack and a jacket there that were not there before and did not belong to us. I was in some other far away bunny land, and Jairo seemed pleased to see me so happy, especially after seeing me so sad in the morning. He only let me sit there for a few seconds and then said to follow him, and when I did (totally in my own world) I almost peed my pants when a kitchen full of people shouted ¨Surprise!!¨ Only then did I notice the balloons and streamers. I´m sure a few more of those happy tears came out, because I was beyond words happy at this point, and took a seat as everyone went around the circle saying their birthday wishes to me. Then is was my turn to talk and I thanked everyone for coming and for being my friends, all the while clutching my tiny little baby bunny. Then (finally) they brought out the food. Jairo had bought enough Chinese for everyone and two ice cream cakes. Could this day get any better?

Our friends stuck around for a movie before heading out, and it was really a great day. I couldn´t stop admiring my little bunny, who lives inside in a box until she gets big enough to join the others. I am way too traumatized to put her in the cage just yet.

A few days later Jairo took me up north to get donuts, frappuccinos and read books at the bookstore, which, besides a party with my friends, was the other birthday wish I had expressed for this year. So I got everything I wanted for my birthday, plus a tiny baby bunny!

I can´t believe I´m 23. When I was little I always thought I would get married at 23, so I guess I´m ahead of the curve on that one since I´m already married and pregnant. I will be a mom at 23! I can´t believe I was married at 21, and now I´m already 23! The time passes so quickly! Still, I´m way younger than Jairo who will turn 30 in May, so I´m cool with it. Plus, I don´t really mind getting older if I get to have such a great time having a birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment