Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Week 58: Day trip (week 27 of pregnancy)

Today we decided to go to Latacunga, a city about 2 hours from Quito, because one of our friends is friends with the owners of a Christian camp there. We wanted to go see the camp and talk to the owners to see how much it costs, when it is available, and all of that to see if we can do some kind of retreat with the youth sometime after the baby is born.

Seeing as I don´t get out much these days, I was overjoyed at the idea of going anywhere, especially somewhere far away (but not so far away that it would be really uncomfortable...I am still pregnant after all). We went in our friend´s car, because in bus Jairo would have never let me go, and we left pretty early in the morning to be sure we got there in time to be able to stay a little while. Once we got into the city we stopped to eat, and I got the world´s biggest fruit salad for 50 cents, which even for Ecuador is really cheap. I was pretty excited. Then we headed off to the camp, which was pretty far outside the city.

The trip up there was a hot one (no AC in the car) and we had to keep the windows up because the road was so dusty, so I was suffering quite a bit in the heat. I decided not to say anything, though, because there was nothing we could do about it anyway and I really didn´t want to be left at home for the next trip! At one point I thought we were past the dusty part of the road and rolled down my window just in time to get a face full of dirt, so that made a great first impression, I´m sure. The windows were the kind you roll up by hand, and jept getting stuck, so my attempt at rolling up the window quickly was kind of a disaster and everyone in the car ended up very dusty thanks to me. Luckily I was with 3 men, and they thought it was funny that I got the worst of it.

The camp itself was really nice and we are now thinking about several different kinds of retreats we´d like to plan for the future. First of all, though, I think we will be doing a youth retreat, since it´s a goal we´ve had for a long time. The prices are really low, which surprised me because the camp is really cool, so I think we´ll be able to get a lot of kids involved.

On the way home we stopped off at some tiny town in the middle of nowhere where our friend´s wife was with her family. They offered us a place to stay, but we were all pretty tired and anxious to go home. We didn´t actually get home until pretty late at night, and I for one was starving, but I felt that kind of satisfaction that you only feel after spending the day in the sun with friends. Jairo and I chattered on and on about all the ideas we had for the camp, and I was really glad I got to go. Still, the few times I actually decide to do something outside of the house, I am reminded by the end of the day why the doctor told me to get lots of rest. I think I´ve had my fill of going out for a while...I´ll probably use tomorrow to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment