Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Week 47: Another answered prayer (week 16 of pregnancy)

I think I mentioned before that I have no problem going to God for the things we need, no matter how big or small. Jairo always laughs at me because whenever we need anything, the first thing I do is talk to God about it. And then I just believe that He will provide when He sees fit to do so, and I try not to worry about it. Some things are harder than others, because they have a deadline, and the closer that deadline gets, the harder it is to trust God. But I have seen Him provide so many times that I really feel stupid not trusting Him now. I have too much experience with His faithfulness!

Well, this week is another of many examples of the fact that nothing is too little for God, or too big. What I mean is, if it matters to you, it matters to Him. And no matter what it is, He can do it. I have been praying for a long time for living room furniture. We simply do not have any living room furniture! The only thing in our living room is a makeshift seat which I folded into a sofa-like shape, but really it is a foam mattress. I have told Jairo for months that I really wanted furniture, because this pregnancy is going to make it difficult to get up and down from such a low place on the floor. I don´t ask God for things that I don´t really feel like I need, and even though it´s just furniture, I really did feel this was a need. So I started praying about it.

Well, today we went to the furniture market (isn´t that funny!) and we bought furniture! God, out of nowhere, as usual, provided the money for us to get a living room set, and we went with a few friends so that they could help Jairo carry everything. I got to pick it out (after all, it is an answer to MY prayer!!) and it is now set up in the living room, and our apartment looks like a real house! No more sitting on the floor!

It´s funny because after so many times that this has happened, that I have taken a seemingly insignificant prayer to God and seen Him come through for us time and again, now Jairo´s perspective seems to be changing. When we need something now, he is much less worried about it but seems to have more trust in God than when we were first married, which in turn helps strengthen my faith as well. Several times I have heard him mention to our friends the way that I take every request to God in faith, and many times he puts me in charge of praying for things we need. I think I am a long way from being a Proverbs 31 woman, but it makes me thankful to God that He has helped me grow in this area because if there is something I want my husband to think of when he thinks of me, faith is not a bad place to start! I think every husband needs a wife who he sees praying, reading God´s Word, exhorting others in love, giving godly advice, and living a life of faith and contentment. I think these things go a long way in supporting him. It´s true, don´t you think, that a man is often known for his wife? If he has a good wife, doesn´t that speak well of him as well? The Bible says that a good wife is a gift from God, and I think this is why. A man with a virtuous wife can stand up against anything because he can lean on her. A man with a worldly wife, a gossiper or someone who spends her time in the things of the world, for example, not only has to deal with his problems but also with the low opinion that others will develop of her, and by connection, of him.

As I said, I think I have a long way to go to be anything like the Proverbs 31 woman, but these little steps encourage me to continue seeking God´s will for me as a woman and a wife, to see the areas that I need to change, first of all to gain God´s approval, and then also to gain my husband´s approval. Maybe someday my husband will say to me, ¨Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.¨ (Proverbs 31:29)

No comments:

Post a Comment