Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Week 51: Something to think about (week 20 of pregnancy)

I mentioned in my other post that we went to Ibarra to see our friend Fausto. While we were there talking he told us this illustration which I really liked and I thought I would share with you all!

Two Christian friends were talking one day, and the one asked the other, "How exactly are we supposed to look for God? I mean, I pray for a little while, and then I don't really have anything else to say, and that's pretty much it. I don't really feel like I've "found God", I just feel like I talked for a while." The other friend thought for a moment and replied, "You have a son in kindergarten, right? Well, let's say that every day your son comes home on the bus at noon. What would you do if it was already 12:30 and your son was nowhere to be found?"

"Well, I would go and look for him, of course!" replied the first friend.

"And if you didn't find him by 1pm?"

"I would keep looking!"

"But if he didn't show up by 2pm you would probably just say, 'Oh well, maybe he'll show up tomorrow. I'm tired of looking', right?"

"No, of course not! I would keep looking for my son until I found him, even if it took all night!"

If you or I couldn't find a loved one, we would worry. We would call people who might have seen them, we would get in our car and go to places where they might be, and we might even call the police after not finding them for a while. The search would be an intense one, because we love the person and we wouldn't be able to rest without knowing where they are. Why is it, then, that when it comes to searching for God, we look for maybe ten, fifteen, even thirty minutes, then shrug our shoulders and say, "Oh well, maybe He'll show up tomorrow!"? In what ways would our lives change if we looked for God every day until He shows up? Until we can tangibly feel His presence? What if we were willing to look for God all day if that's what it took?

The Bible says that God can still be found by those who seek Him, and it warns that it will not always be this way. We should take the advice in the verse above and seek God with all our hearts until we find Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment