Saturday, April 17, 2010

Week 44: Yet more reasons to love Ecuador! (week 13 of pregnancy)

My parents sent me a package for Thanksgiving. I was pretty excited about it, because my mom mentioned that she included some things that I had asked for so that I can make a Thanksgiving dinner. (Thanksgiving is an American holiday, so here in Ecuador they don´t celebrate it. It will be Jairo´s first!)

We got to customs to get the package, which normally costs $1. There was a long line, and we watched as one by one everyone left the customs office angry and fighting with the employees. We both started to get nervous. It was finally our turn, and Jairo went in to get the package. A little time passed and then he emerged, no package, and angry face on. Uh-oh.

Apparently customs has a new rule they did not feel the need to tell anyone about. If the package is under 8 pounds, it only costs a dollar. How much did my package weigh? Like 8.2 pounds. How much was it going to cost us to get the package out? $70.

What???

Well, we had to pay it. I´m sure that the whole package was worth way less than $70. But after I cried about it (the angry kind of crying...if you´re like me you know what I mean) I opened the box and I felt like I was in a visa commercial. Thanksgiving in Ecuador? Priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment