Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Week 46: Back from Puyo (week 15 of pregnancy)

Well, we are back from Puyo. It was a really difficult trip because we went down for our friend Pepelucho´s funeral. He was about my age and his death was very unexpected. It was a difficult experience for me as a wife, because Jairo was extremely upset and I knew that I needed to try to offer as much support as possible for him. Pepelucho was one of his best friends, and Jairo by nature is a very sensitive person, so this was really almost too much for him, I think. He was a friend of mine, too, but not a very close friend since I really didn´t have a lot of occasions to get to know him really well. Still, it was an incredibly sad couple of days, and I found myself battling with my emotions as pregnancy only complicated things on that front. You can imagine that if a stupid commercial on TV is enough to bring a pregnant woman to tears, how much more a really tragic event like this makes it difficult to keep emotions in line. I tried to do my crying more when Jairo was not around, so that I could try to be a strength and comfort to him when we were together. I think I did all that I could, seeing that in these situations there is really very little anyone can say or do to make anything any better.

Still, our hope in the situation is that Pepelucho had time between his accident and when he passed away that he was conscious, and having been raised a Christian I can only think that he used his time wisely to make things right with God. His death has been a huge testimony to the many, many youth who knew him, not to mention adults, to examine their lives because we never know when God will call us away from this world. None of us is promised 80 or 90 years of life, or even one more day, and I think many people have decided to recommit their lives to God as a result of this situation. Even at the funeral a few people accepted Christ as their savior, which just shows the truth of Romans 8:28, that God can indeed make good things out of bad things.

Please pray for the family, and for Jairo and all of Pepelucho´s good friends, since the grieving process (as all of us who have gone through it know) is not an easy one, and it can take a long time to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment