Saturday, April 17, 2010

Week 41: The purpose of this life (week 10 of pregnancy)

I was listening to a sermon by Cash Luna online and I really liked what he said. He asked this question: ¨If the only reason for this life is to get to heaven, then why didn´t you die as soon as you accepted Christ as your savior?¨

God is certainly going to reward us with Heaven, that´s a guarantee, but that isn´t the reason that you and I are here on this earth. We´re here to work for the Kingdom. I think of it this way. Salvation is not by works, but by faith. Salvation translates into going to Heaven, of course, so basically we don´t earn it...it´s built into the deal. Basically, when we become God´s workers, we get a built in retirement plan. But the quality of the plan is based on the investment we put in now. In other words, if I live my whole life as a Christian and do the minimum for the Kingdom, I go to Heaven, and that will be great! But the more I invest in the Kingdom now, the better my retirement plan. It´s nice to retire to a little cottage with a little back yard, but it´s much nicer to retire to a mansion on 100 acres, right?

So maybe we are missing the point a little bit if we think that the whole idea of being Christians is to get to Heaven. That´s really just the starting point. And if you´re curious about what the best thing to do for the Kingdom is, I think it is telling as many people as you can whenever you can about the gift God has given you. We have the best news in the world, and we should be telling others about it so they can use this life as an investment, too. We need to learn to invest our time in things that have value for the Kingdom, and when we do that, we´ll find that Jesus wasn´t kidding when He said that this life is meant to be an abundant one!

No comments:

Post a Comment