Friday, April 16, 2010

Week 22: Five Months Married!

This week we had our five month anniversary!

I feel blessed, because I’ve seen how much we’ve grown as a couple, the problems we’ve been able to face together as a team, how much we’re learning, and I feel like it’s getting better every day!

I was talking to a friend of mine who was asking me questions about marriage, and I told her that I think no one really tries to prepare you for marriage. No one warns you about the days between the days when you’re happy and taking pictures for the photo album. The only people talking are worldly people who make us believe in fairy tales that don’t exist, and when we don’t get the fairy tale, we walk away.

I think marriage is something much richer and deeper and more beautiful that a fairy tale, but I also know that to get to that point, you don’t just wake up in the morning and live how you want to. It’s a lot of work, it’s a lot of compromise, it’s shutting your mouth and not being right, even if you are right. Everyone wants a great marriage, but few people want to work at it.

I can’t say that they’ve been 5 perfect months, or five months without a single fight. But I can say that after 5 months of being married, I’m living that happy marriage that I always wanted. I’m just not getting to be right as much as I would like! I’ve decided it’s worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment