Saturday, April 17, 2010

Week 44: Thanksgiving! (week 13 of pregnancy)

I am a domestic goddess. Just so you know.

I made a Thanksgiving feast fit for a king all by myself! (I did call my mom for instructions on making the chicken...I made a whole chicken instead of a turkey because it seemed more practical for so few people.) I made the chicken with stuffing, macaroni and cheese (homemade of course), carrots, corn, stuffed mushrooms, mashed potatoes and gravy, cornbread, rice (am I still in Ecuador), pudding, apple pie, and pumpkin pie. I also planned a craft activity for everyone to teach them about Thanksgiving. We made turkies. I also put Jairo in charge of some worship songs for thanking God on the acoustic guitar. All in all it was me, Jairo, Jairo´s mom, Jairo´s neice, and two friends who attended, and I must say, it was great.

But the best part? Before the big day, Jairo expressed his disapproval of Thanksgiving to me, telling me that he felt it was just an excuse to eat a lot. I wasn´t sure how to respond to that since it really is an excuse to eat a lot, but to me it is much more than that. I watched his interest grow as he saw me basically never leave the kitchen for two days, and urged me to rest although he seemed to be impressed. But the best part was after dinner. We were getting ready for bed and he said, ¨You know, for next Thanksgiving we should...¨ and I said...¨Wait, NEXT Thanksgiving? I thought it was just a waste of time!¨ ¨I think I changed my mind,¨ he replied. ¨But next year we´ll get a turkey and invite a lot more friends!¨

No comments:

Post a Comment