Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Week 55: Road trip! (week 24 of pregnancy)

We were invited to Puyo for a special youth service a while ago, and the drama team has been preparing a special drama for the event. It´s a drama with music that Jairo invented, and it´s really cool! I didn´t get to be a part of it thanks to my expanding midsection and had to content myself with being cheerleader, but the drama turned out really great. It´s fun to see Jairo get all excited about things like this. They had lots and lots of special practices leading up to the date, and were very excited because it was their first performance outside of church! When we finally got to Puyo everything went really well, and the drama went perfectly! I was really proud of Jairo for the way he led the group during the trip, since it was really the first time we took them anywhere.

After the youth service we stayed another two days in Puyo. The first day we went with the Church of God in Puyo to a river and cooked out, swam and had fun! It was a challenge with some of the girls because of modesty issues, and I made a mental note to make sure this was a clear conversation point BEFORE the trip next time. Hindsight, right? I think I might even make some written agreements!! Still, it was a lot of fun. The river was beautiful and it felt amazing to swim and not feel my heavy belly for a while!

The next day we headed back to Quito, but stopped with the youth group in Baños at the zoo there. It was a fun trip, and I got to see lots of weird Ecuadorian animals. I had a brain dead moment at one point because we were looking at some cougar-like animal and it was so adorable, it didn´t even look real. It looked like a stuffed animal. So it walked by the doorway which had these little slits in it, and I could not resist and put my hand in to try to touch it. Jairo totally freaked out and grabbed me away, yelling ¨What are you doing?!?¨ while I just stared at him and said, ¨I just wanted to pet it!¨ His reply was to remind me that this was not like one of my bunnies, but rather a meat-eating deadly animal. Whatever, I bet it wouldn´t have bit me. I also got my picture taken with a boa constrictor, to which Jairo also objected but later gave in to me on. It was pretty cool!!

I did decide, however, that this would be my last long trip pre-baby. It was really challenging to travel, and to be in a different climate (Puyo is more jungle-like). I´m really glad I went, but I know that in a few weeks I will be even bigger and more pregnant, and this is only going to get more difficult, so from now until baby I think I will be staying home! Still, it was a really cool trip, and I hope we get to go again sometime soon (post-baby, of course!).

No comments:

Post a Comment