Thursday, April 30, 2009

Week Ten: Nonsense, Nonsense, and More Nonsense

When I was younger and I would start complaining about some problem to my mom, she would ask me, “Ashley, are you looking for a solution, or do you just want to vent?” I think this is a wise question. So, I’m just letting you, the reader, know that I just want to vent.

Sometimes there are no words to describe how dumb rules can be. I mean, I’m all for rules. Rules that make sense, rules that serve some purpose, rules that protect from something, rules that are based on moral convictions...all of these are rules I respect. Rules that I do not respect are rules invented purely for the purpose of existing. It’s like someone realizes that they haven’t made and rules recently and so, purely for that reason, they make a new rule.

Here’s a rule I don’t understand. If I present all of my paperwork for residency and it is flawless, and I have 26 days left on my visa, I cannot get my residency. Why? Because the director recently made a rule, which even according to those who work in immigration is pointless, which says that I need to have 30 days left on my visa to file my paperwork. Not 26 days, 30 days. The best part is that in all the time we have been working with these lovely people, they never felt it necessary to mention that rule to us.

So what do I do? We’re squabbling over 4 days. 4 days! They suggest to me that I file the paperwork as if I were out of the country, then afterwards send a letter saying I find myself in the country again and would like the paperwork filed in Ecuador. So I consider this for a moment and then marvel as I realize that rather than letting me file my paperwork legally, they are counseling me to break the law, the actual law not some made up rule, twice!

And so, my friends, I have reached an impasse with my residency paperwork. But, I am trying to be calm and wait on God, because I’m sure He has a plan. He always does. I just every once in a while wish He would hurry up and tell me!!

I found this verse, and it made me feel a lot better: “Wait for the Lord and keep His way, and He will exalt you to inherit the land; you will look on when the wicked are cut off.”

Hopefully this verse applies to my own life, and that land is Ecuador! I’ll keep you posted...thanks for letting me vent.

1 comment:

  1. Wow thats horrible, I'll be praying for you! And I have another question, did you two join a missions agency or organization, or are you working independently? Did you do the TESOL certification?

    ReplyDelete