Saturday, April 4, 2009

Week 4: Back to Work

Well, the honeymoon’s over. Officially.

It’s pretty much exactly like I thought it would be. Really, really, unimaginably busy. But it’s also really fun. It’s great to finally be with my husband “in public” so to speak, and have everyone call me Jairo’s wife, and receive that kind of level of respect that people never give to a girlfriend. I’m not just some girl anymore. I’m his wife. So you better back off.

No, just kidding. Sort of. Haha.

Jairo works in the daytime and we’re in the church almost every night of the week. It’s challenging. But it’s also rewarding. I think about the normal jobs people have; you know, waitress, lawyer, doctor, accountant, teacher, etc. I can’t imagine that there could be any job as fulfilling as working for God. Sure, a lot of people after a good day at work come home and feel good about the work they did, and that’s good, but what other job has eternal value? What other people, besides those who work for God, can say that not only will their work continue on after they’re gone, but also that it will continue into eternity?

And, thinking of the same kinds of jobs, I ask myself, what’s the point of a doctor healing a body if the soul goes to hell? What’s the point of educating a mind if, when all is said and done, that mind never gets to understand the fullness and beauty of God’s love? I’m not saying those jobs are bad or pointless, not at all, but what could be more important than sharing the gospel and helping people stay on the right path so that after this life is over, they can live in eternal happiness and communion with God?

I see life here in some of the worst conditions imaginable. Everywhere I turn there is extreme poverty, suffering, violence, illness, struggle, and hopelessness. All the doctors, teachers, accountants and lawyers in the world can’t do anything to give meaning to this kind of life. There has to be more to life than this. Thank God there is so much more. What job could be more important, more rewarding, more lasting than bringing hope to the hopeless, loving the unlovable, and giving the gift of new, never-ending life? This is what Jesus did on earth, and I’m honored to be able to follow in his footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment