Saturday, April 4, 2009

Week Six: My Justice vs. God´s Justice

I recently found out that someone I considered a close friend who lives in the US has been spreading lies about me to my other friends at my old church. It hurt me a lot to find this out, because this is a friend I trusted. I’m not sure why this person has started behaving this way, but it really hurts me.

I’ve wanted to be able to defend myself so that these destructive lies don’t affect my other friendships, but this person has been very crafty in the way they have told these lies, so that whatever I do, I look guilty. It’s something I’ve taken to God with a lot of tears, and He brought to my memory the story of Saul and David.

David was anointed to be king over Israel, and Saul, the current king, was jealous of David, and tried to have him killed, even though David had been like a son to him and was the best friend of Saul’s son Jonathan. Many years Saul pursued David, and one night David had the chance to kill Saul and take control of the kingdom of Israel. He snuck into Saul’s camp, and rather than killing him, cut off a piece of his robe. Then he snuck out and from afar called to Saul, with the corner of his robe in his hand and said, “May the Lord judge between me and you, may the Lord avenge me against you, but my hand shall not be against you.”

David could have had his revenge against Saul, but David believed God, and eventually God gave him justice in a much better way than what David could have done. Paul echoes this idea in Romans when he says, “Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay’ says the Lord.”

Whatever I could do or say to make this person regret what they’ve done, what they’re still doing, is nothing compared to what God will do if I wait for His perfect justice. I hope that when God corrects this person, our friendship will be restored. I know that God is faithful, and I believe He will give me justice, just like He gave to David.

No comments:

Post a Comment