Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Week 10: Delusions of Grandeur

I decided today that I’m going to be a spy. It’s not that I’m not content with my life in the ministry—I am. It’s really rewarding work, I keep very busy and it’s never boring. I even get to travel pretty often. On the other hand, I’m not secretly breaking into buildings undetected or saving the world once a week with a wig and a different identity.

See, I’ve been watching ALIAS with my husband. We own all five seasons (they happen to have Spanish) and we’re addicts. I looked on the internet about how to become a spy, but it turned out not to be very productive. So I came back to my apartment on the third floor and I thought about how I could scale down the wall to the street, but I realized that I’m afraid of heights and don’t have any climbing equipment. My dream of being a spy all but died then, when I realized that what with my lack of equipment, fear of heights, intolerance to seeing blood and lack of kung-fu training, I don’t have much hope in the spy career.

It was a disappointing realization, to be honest. But then I thought about the work I do here with Jairo. Every day we work with our organization, Revolution Ministries, and we’re also trying to save the world. I don’t run around with tranquilizer guns and crazy wigs, I don’t break into buildings or disarm weapons, but I am a part of a very real war. It’s a war that’s been going on since before the creation of the world.

Paul says in Ephesians 6:12, “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” Every time an unsaved person comes to Christ, every time the sound of praise and worship fills the Ferroviaria Alta, every time we talk to people about God, every time we take time in our houses to pray and seek God, we’re doing battle. We understand that everything we do has spiritual significance.

The cool thing about this war is that it doesn’t matter that I’m afraid of heights or that I’m not kun-fu trained. The majority of this battle is won by people on their knees. God plans the missions and gives us the equipment that we need to carry it out. Maybe I still secretly would like to be a spy. It does seem pretty exciting. But even more exciting is to be part of a real battle—it’s not glamorous, but it’s not make-believe either.

No comments:

Post a Comment