Saturday, April 4, 2009

Week 3: Remembering Our Wedding

Week Three: Remembering Our Wedding

I’ve been a little sad lately because I don’t have any of my wedding pictures. Well, I have a few, but my parents have like literally 600 in the States. The problem is, how do they get them to us?

A couple of people have told me that they saw pictures and I was beautiful, blah, blah, blah...I want to see them too!! I’m the bride after all, and that was my day of glory! I want to be able to remember every minute of it!

Well, I feel a little better now than I did, because two of our friends who were at the wedding just gave us copies of their pictures. Jairo and I had a lot of fun flipping through them, remembering certain moments we had forgotten, and feeling the same feelings we felt in those moments. Life is already so normal feeling now, with the two of us together, used to each other. I think that’s a good thing, but every once in a while it’s also good to remember the magic that brought you together.

Sometimes I think about what I will remember in twenty or thirty years. Like, what will I tell my kids about this time in my life? I usually laugh when I think about it, because I imagine I will say something about how I was a crazy, impulsive kid who fell absolutely head over heels in love, and one day decided to fly down to Ecuador and marry the love of my life, without thinking twice about anything rational. But I wouldn’t want it any other way. I never wanted a normal life, a normal house, a normal anything. I wanted adventure, I wanted extraordinary, I wanted a fairy tale. I didn’t just want to say, oh we met at work, dated for a year, he took me in a hot air balloon and proposed and we were married that summer. I wanted something special.

Maybe there’s more to an adventure than what meets the eye. It sounds exciting and fun, and a lot of times it is, but it has also cost me a lot. It has been hard sometimes. I’m far away from my family and friends, thrust into a different culture and language (granted, I thrust myself, but still!), sometimes lonely and grumpy, and sometimes feel a little lost. But what good adventure doesn’t include problems, danger, battles and the like? If you took all of the bad stuff out of the lives of the characters of Lord of the Rings or Indiana Jones, what would be left? What kind of adventure would that be?

My wedding was only the beginning of the adventure I’m living. I think someday, my life will be a lot of fun to tell my grandkids about. I just hope I don’t have any kids that turn out like me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment