Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Week 13: A Small, Unexpected Miracle

If you remember my post from week 10 about trying to get my residency here in Ecuador, you’ll remember that I was stuck between a rock and a hard place with 26 days on my visa and no way of staying in the country. Suffice it to say that when I wrote that, I was understandably very frustrated. However, today has been a great day and has restored at least a little bit of my faith in the Ecuadorian government.

I went with Bre to the immigration office to find out about some options for her to stay in the country when she returns to Ecuador in the future. We got what we needed and we about to leave when Jairo called me and suggested that just one more time I ask about my situation to see if there’s anything I can do.

I went back to talk to Jaime, who now knows me extremely well from having seen me like once a week for 6 months. I explained my situation to him and asked if there was anything I could do. He replied that since I was trying to do paperwork and I had everything ready, he would give me an extension on my visa for 45 days! I’m not sure if this was because I really deserved it or maybe he was just tired of seeing me, but either way works for me! I have to go back to pick up the visa next week and then I’m filing my residency! I don’t know what you believe, but I know that my God is a God of miracles and I’m pretty psyched to have Him on my side!

1 comment: