Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Week 13: A Day on the River

We’re here in Puyo for about a week so that Jairo can vote. We decided to come a little early so that we could visit with the family and relax a little. Today Jairo finally gave in to me and we went to the river to go swimming.

Puyo is a part of the area of Ecuador called “Oriente” which is more and more Amazonian as you go west. Puyo itself is a tropical town, usually warm or hot, with a lot of rain. There’s a lot of fresh fruit, colorful plants and flowers, wild animals and bugs! I love it! It’s so much fun!

On our way down to the river we had the pleasure of seeing a snake that someone had beheaded, which is pretty common, and once at the river had fun playing volleyball in the water and enjoying the sun. On the way back home we stopped and ate something called Volquetero, which is hard to explain what it is because almost none of it can be found in the US! However, I will tell you that it was delicious and I am now an addict.

Relaxing is not something we usually have a lot time for, but here in Puyo, life goes a little slower and you can’t help but relax a little. That’s why we love coming here. It’s such a great feeling to be surrounded by people you love and just relax. It had been so long I wasn’t sure I’d still now how! But, as it turns out, we had a great day, and we did relax. And we’re going to relax again tomorrow! I’d better not stay to long, I might just get used to this!

No comments:

Post a Comment