Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Week 11: Getting Connected

Ecuador isn’t what you might imagine if you’ve never been here. Yes, it’s a poor country, classified as an “underdeveloped nation” if I have my politically correct terms straight. Yes, a part of the country, known as Oriente, is jungle. But it can also be pretty modern. I don’t live in the depths of the Amazon; I live in Quito, the capital. It’s not that bad.

Even so, a lot of times I feel isolated. I get a weekly phone call from my parents, sometimes more, and usually once I week I can get online. But internet and phone calls are not always that fulfilling. Sometimes you want a more personal touch.
Not to mention that there are certain things I miss from the States. I miss Twizzlers and Starburst jelly beans. I miss apple cider. Little things that when I think about them, for just a minute, I start to miss home.

So, Jairo and I came up with the perfect solution. We got a PO Box! I cannot explain how excited I was when we got it! I can now receive letters, packages...mail! I know, for those reading my blog maybe mail is not really a novelty, but for me, it’s a huge step up in my being able to communicate with people in the US. I can’t wait to start getting mail and feeling that more personal connection that has been lacking in the last 6 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment