Monday, March 11, 2013

Get-through-your-Monday Girl Time - SuperMom Catherine Allison


Hello, Monday friends! I´m glad to have you back for another round of Get-through-your-Monday Girl Time! Today I am sharing one of my best friends with you, so you should feel very lucky! I have known this sweet lady since we were in high school together, and we have shared our lives since then, sometimes during sleepovers and soccer practice, and sometimes through facebook chat prayer requests from 3,000 miles away. Catherine, or Cathy as I know her, is a wonderful woman of God who strives to be the best she can be for her family, and she is a great encouragement to me! I hope you find her sweet, bubbly personality an encouragement as well! You can also read more from Cathy at her blog here. Enjoy!
Ashley


Tell us a little bit about yourself. Who are you?
Hello! My name is Catherine Allison. I am a blessed wife to an amazing husband, a happy mama to 2 beautiful children, and a saved woman by God’s grace. I was adopted at the age of 13, baptized at 16, married my best friend at the age of 21, and had my first child at the age of 23. My life has been one joyous and adventurous ride that I wouldn’t change for anything!

Tell us about your family.
I married my best friend/high school sweetheart my sophomore year in college. It was a beautiful happy day when we became Man and Wife! There were many happy tears shed that day! My husband is the worship leader at the church we attend along with serving as a Deacon. His job consists of him filming, producing and writing commercials for cable television. I stay home loving on my precious family, teaching them God’s beautiful truths, and serving my husband. I also teach the toddler Sunday school at our church. We have 2 children: J and E. J is 3, and E is 6 months. We strive to love Jesus together as a family, and we make it our goal to portray the gospel by the way we love and serve one another through our family.
How many children do you have, and what are their ages?
We have 2 children: J and E. J is 3, and E is 6 months.

This is an interview about motherhood, but your motherhood is shaped a lot by your marriage. How would you describe your relationship with your husband?
My relationship with my husband is based on grace. We love each other completely, and strive every day to serve one another the best we know how by God’s grace. We always look for ways to encourage each other, pray with each other, and speak God’s word into each other’s lives. We have been married for 5 years, and are still madly in love.

What is the hardest thing about being married?
We are told in the book of Colossians that wives are to be submissive to their husbands, as to the Lord. Ephesians also teaches this doctrine of family. As wives, we are commanded to be submissive and honoring to our husbands. However, we know that the curse on Eve, which was extended to all of God’s creation, would be that woman’s desire would be to rule over her own husband. This has been so true in my marriage at times, and I have had to repent several times because of this. The fact that we are commanded to submit and honor our husband makes it that important to God. This truly is one of the hardest things about being married: Being submissive and honoring to my husband, as is fitting in the Lord.

What is the best thing about being married?
My husband is my perfect helpmeet. He guides, leads, encourages and prays for his family. He speaks scripture into our lives. The best thing about being married to him is simply just getting to be his wife. I realize this probably sounds cliché, but seriously, I truly am one blessed woman to have him as my husband. He’s my best friend. He’s the man I get to spend all my days with, the man I get to watch raise our children by teaching them the joys of serving the Lord, the man I look forward to coming home to everyday just to chat with, cry with, and laugh with. He is the man I treasure; he is the man I want to make memories with that last a lifetime. I love being married to my best friend! I love that we get to serve the Lord together; that truly is the best thing about being married!

Describe a memory between you and your husband that really stands out in your mind.
I’ll never forget the moment when my husband became a father. It truly was the most beautiful picture. Watching the doctors place our boy into my husband’s arms, and watching my husband tear up and cheer that he’s a daddy made this Mama cry like a baby. At that moment, I realized I was one blessed woman. This moment is forever etched into my memory, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

How did your relationship with your husband change when you became parents?
Since becoming parents, my relationship with my husband has changed for the better. We have learned to be more patient with each other, show more grace to one another, and communicate better. Our love for each other has even deepened. My love and respect for my husband has grown stronger as I have watched him raise and teach our kids the joys of following the Lord. I have become more faithful in honoring and submitting to my husband’s direction and lead in our family as it relates to things like disciplining our children or how we should school our children, etc. My relationship with my husband has changed for the better!

How does your parenting style compare with your husband´s?
For the most part are parenting styles are pretty similar, and if they are not, we strive to make that happen. This is so that our children learn to respect both parents equally, and so that they can expect the same outcomes from both parents. However, if I were to point out one thing that was different in our parenting styles it would be grace and patience. My husband tends to show more grace and patience with our children than I do. I’m learning to be a mom that’s full of grace, and it’s definitely hard for me. It’s something I pray for everyday!

In what ways have you changed since you became a mother?
I would say I have definitely realized my need for Jesus more since being a mother. I have also had to rely more on Him for teaching me grace, patience and love. Prayer has become more a part of my life than ever before, and seeking His word has become more of a challenge, but necessary challenge in my life. Pray for me on this one friends and family! Spending time in God’s word and prayer is a necessary tool for living this life, and with children sometimes it can be hard to find time.

Describe a memory of pregnancy that stands out to you.
For both of my pregnancie it was the first time I felt them move. It was a joy of mine to get to feel them move in my womb. It was more of a real presence for me that I had a baby growing inside me; a baby I was truly grateful to have join our family.

Describe a memory of your first weeks of motherhood that stands out to you.
Late night feedings was a memory I didn’t expect and enjoy at first. I had such a hard time with this at first. When baby woke up wanting to nurse, I remember thinking to myself, “Please just go back to sleep. Mommy is so tired. I need to sleep.” This was when I realized how selfish of a person I was, putting my needs first before my child’s needs. Don’t get me wrong, I knew I was selfish before, but having a baby magnified it so much more. Now, I just cherish the moments I have with my daughter and son, because I know life is short and precious, and I know our children aren’t babies forever. I am only able to do this of course by God’s grace. It’s through his strength that I am able to love, care for and noursih my children, because without Him I would be a total failure.

In what ways has your parenting style changed with each child?
Since becoming a mom of two, I think I have become much more relaxed with life in general. I’m not so stir crazy when things go array, and when the house seems like everything is a mess from all the dishes being dirty, six loads of laundry needing to be folded and put away, and children toys, books, games, etc. sporadically tossed (or so it seems) all over the house.

As far as parenting two children, I think maybe I’ve encouraged more independence in my son, and tried teaching him to do some things on his own more without Mommy’s help. I have also seen myself relax more with him. I am not so uptight when his room is a mess; the house is a mess due to his messy concoctions, game playing, etc, and when he gets super dirty from painting, playing outside, etc. Overall, I would like to say I am more fun to be around now!

In what ways are your children similar to each other and in what ways are they different?
I’m pretty sure my children were twins separated by almost 3 years of life. My son and daughter look identical, and have very similar personalities. Both, so far, were/are easy, easy babies. Neither one of them cry(ied) a lot, had weird sleeping habits, etc. They both were/are very happy babies, and smile and laugh a lot. E is a lot more content by herself  than J was being by himself. He didn’t hate it, but he wouldn’t play on his own for more than 10 minutes at a time without getting upset or throwing a fit. E can be left a lone for a long time (close to 30 minutes), and she is happy. We don’t make a habit with leaving E alone, but I do let her jump in her Jumperro for 15-20 minutes in the morning and afternoon while I do some “tot school” with J. She is totally ok with this, too! E also learned to self-soothe at 2-months, so she didn’t need Mommy’s touch/help every time she is/was upset like J did when he was a baby. She is a thumb sucker, and J liked the pacifier. There are definitely pros/cons of both, but man I’m loving that E is a thumb sucker, that’s for sure!

In what ways are your children similar to you? In what ways are they different from you?
My children are very much like their Dad and me. I would say though that their dramatic behavior when things don’t always go their way is more similar to my behavior, because their father never stresses out or gets upset. It’s pretty incredible how he leads such a stress free life. I pray, by God’s grace, I am able to do that this year. Both of my children are/were easy babies, and for the most part my husband and I were as well. My children are happy and cheerful most of the time, and I’d like to say the same goes for my husband and me. Both of my children are also very athletic, and their father and I were in high school. We still play sports occasionally, but we’re so out of shape, so it’s not often that we do. Lord willing, this will be changing in the New Year! My son is musically talented. This he gets from his father, and not from me. My son is also a very organized toddler. This he gets from me. I think it’s because I taught him to be that way at such a young age…haha!

For each of your children, share one of your favorite memories.
There are always too many favorite memories to list from your child’s life, so I’ll pick out a few:
For J one of my favorite memories was when he first started walking, and he toddled over to me with a big smile on his face, gave me the biggest hug, and then promptly kissed me (snot and all) on my cheek. It was gross, but I loved every minute of it.

Hearing him say, “I wuv you, Mommy,” for the first time is something I will never forget.

Hearing his first cry the day he was born is something I can’t explain, nor do I think anyone can explain. It did something to me. I will forever hold on to that memory so etched into my brain.

Seeing my husband became a father for the first time was definitely a favorite memory. Watching him carry his son, J, out to meet his family for the first time is a memory I’ll never forget.

For E it was her first cry, her first smile, and her first sneeze. It was seeing her Daddy totally smitten by her. Babies are simply adorable and loving, and she is by far one of the most loving and happiest babies I have ever known. She provides lots of joy in our family! We are so thankful God blessed us with her!

Describe a moment as a mother where you felt overwhelmed.
Again. There have been, and will probably be several more moments where I feel completely overwhelmed and not adequate enough to be a mother, which bare with me on this one, I’m not adequate to be a mother, and life isn’t going to be easy-especially for those who belong to Christ. It is only be God’s grace that I’m able to love, care for, teach and nurture my children. Without God in my life, I wouldn’t be the mother I am today, and my family wouldn’t be the family they are today, because apart from Him we are nothing. It is by His grace, His son’s blood on the cross, and His victory over Satan that I can stand and be a good mom. It is through His strength that I can overcome the hardships and trials as a mother. It’s because of Him that when my son was diagnosed with a severe peanut and milk allergy I was able to believe and trust in His word and promise that He’s a good God. His plans are perfect. That somehow these allergies would bring Him glory. So yes, I’ve been overwhelmed many times, and yes, there are some that stand out more than others (like J’s constant battle with peanut and milk allergies), but I rest assured in His promises that He’s a good God, His plans are perfect, and He will redeem His people! Praise God for that! I look forward to His return when all pain, suffering, sickness and death will be vanquished! Come Lord Jesus!

What are your favorite ways to relax when you need a little break?
My favorite ways to relax when I need a little break are too many to list, and not enough time for me to get to do them during the day…lol! Anyhow, I love spending time in prayer, God’s word and listening to a sermon or podcast while resting on the couch during the kid’s naps. Most of the time, I fall asleep myself. That is simply fabulous when I get a nap in during the day. I’m not going to lie though about my favorite way to relax. I enjoy sitting on the couch or in my recliner with my feet propped up reading a good book or watching a fabulous television show. Love those rare moments when that happens. I also enjoy shopping, eating chocolate and getting a manicure as a way to relax. Please don’t judge…lol!

What has been the hardest lesson you have had to learn as a mother?
Patience. I have never been a very patient person (just ask Ashley, she can tell you), and raising a toddler calls for that character quality for sure. I still struggle with this, and pray every day that God would make me more patient, more like Him as He relates to His people. I do know I have developed more patience since becoming a mother, but it’s nowhere perfect or close to where it should be. Praying this changes in my life.

What has been the hardest experience you have gone through as a mother? What did that experience teach you?
The one that stands out to me the most is my son’s constant battle with severe peanut and milk allergies.  If given a drink of milk or one peanut, he can go into anaphylactic shock, which ultimately can kill him.  I can’t tell you how many close calls we have had, and how on edge I tend to be when we go new places. This is a battle I hated at first, and was angry with God at first, but now I see how God has used this for His good. He has drawn my family and I closer to Him, He has caused us to be smart and healthy with what we eat, and ultimately, He has turned us into a prayer warrior family. I find myself always praying for my children, for their ultimate healing, which is their salvation, but also for J’s healing with his allergies. If you’re a prayer warrior, then feel free to pray the same.

Looking back on your life as a mother, what, if anything, do you regret?
I have only been a mother for 3-years, so I don’t feel like there is much too look back on in my mothering life, but what I do know is this that there have been many times where I haven’t been patient and loving to my children. This I regret. I pray to change this. I hope to change this. I long to change this. I want to be like Christ as He is with His people. I want my children to see the love of Jesus in me as I love for, care for, and nurture them.

What do you think is the most important quality in a mother?
A mother who loves with a Christ like love, prays for her children daily, and devotes her time to her family is something to be admired. One who seeks Jesus in all of life is something to be talked about, and something I pray that I do. A mother who serves her family happily, and rejoices always is important as well!

What do you think children need most from their mothers?
LOVE, because without love everything is meaningless. (1 Corinthians 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment