Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Week Two: Post-Wedding Blues

I saw a wedding dress at the mall and it made me really sad. It made me think, what happens when the day you dreamt about your whole life has passed. What do you dream about now, as a woman?

I’m happy with the way my wedding turned out. I’m happy to be married. I like having my own place with my own husband. I like cooking, I don’t mind cleaning...I mean, I don’t have any reason to be sad. The wedding was a success, and we’re going to make sure the marriage is too. But there’s something magical about the day you get married, and there’s so much anticipation that when it’s over, you kind of miss it. I mean, at least I do. It’s like, my wedding was a constant friend since I was a very little girl, always there when I wanted something to dream about. And now? I mean, I can set goals for myself, things I want to achieve or do someday, but what will ever be as big, as magical, as meaningful as my wedding?

Now, don’t get me wrong. The marriage is way more important than the wedding, I know that. But, I imagine that the majority of those of you who are reading this are women, so I think you get my point. What else does a woman have to look forward to after that big day?

My first thought was having children. You know, if you want them, and I do. But then I thought, you know, I know it’s totally worth it and everything but it’s nothing like a wedding. My wedding wasn’t the worst pain I ever felt, it didn’t give me stretch marks, it didn’t end up in me losing all of my money for at least 18 years...you get my point. When will I ever be as beautiful as I was on my wedding? When will I ever get that kind of attention again?

And I guess that’s where the Holy Spirit starts bugging me about my priorities. Read what Peter says about a woman’s beauty in 1 Peter 3: “Do not let your adorning (or beauty) be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear—but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.”

I got ready for my wedding months before, eating right, doing my whole beauty regimen, etc. But now it’s time to shift my focus. Sure, I can still be beautiful. I can wear makeup and eat right. I mean I do have a husband to think about. But the point Peter is making here is that outward beauty will fade. It can’t be a woman’s only beauty. Now that my wedding is over I have to strive to be a beautiful wife. The Bible talks a lot about what makes a woman truly beautiful, and part of that is wisdom. If you want enough to keep you busy for years, try getting started with Proverbs 31. We can do it together.

Proverbs 31:

An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels.

- The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.

- She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life.

- She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands.

- She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar.

- She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens.

- She considers a field and buys it; with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.

- She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

- She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night.

- She puts her hands to the distaff, and her hands hold the spindle.

- She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy.

- She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet.

- She makes bed coverings for herself; her clothing is fine linen and purple.

- Her husband is known in the gates when he sits among the elders of the land.

- She makes linen garments and sells them; she delivers sashes to the merchant.

- Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come.

- She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

- She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.

- Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: "Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all."

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment