Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Week Two: Adventures in Baking

So, you know how when you were little your mom always had dinner ready for you around the same time of day, and it was generally a pretty balanced meal, and, more often than not, it was pretty good? I mean, the chicken wasn’t raw in parts, the green beans weren’t burnt, the food didn’t get cold before you ate it? Well, guess what. It’s harder than it looks. And even harder at a ridiculously high altitude.

I’ve always liked cooking, but since I’ve been on my own I was never one for scheduled meals, and I never had enough money for balanced ones, I didn’t mind eating plain white rice at 2am if that’s what was in the house and that was when I got hungry. But do you who that doesn’t work with? A husband.

I’ve figured out that making a meal here in Quito takes on average about 90 minutes. I’ve learned that there are like 50 kinds of rice (which is served with every single Ecuadorian meal), and the best one for high altitudes is pescadito. I’ve learned that baked fish sometimes just looks done, but you have to triple check the center before you turn off the oven. I officially really want a blender and a pressure cooker, because I want to make pasta sauces, and I don’t want to have to cook lentils the night before. I also need mixing bowls and a few more pots and pans. But, overall, I think I’m adjusting pretty well to this whole domestic thing.

I made banana bread, which, aside from the fact that I burnt the bottom a little, was actually pretty stinkin’ good, if I do say so myself. I also made oatmeal cookies, my trademark, which turned out great except for when I forgot that I had one more batch in the oven and left them there for like 45 minutes. Jairo said they looked more like Oreos. I’m thinking seriously about making some coffee cake tonight. Here’s to not burning the bottom! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment