Friday, February 10, 2012

Oatmeal Creme Pies


While my niece is staying here for a week or so, and she was begging me to teach her to make cookies. (Baking is not a very common skill here in Ecuador.) I had been wanting to try to make homemade oatmeal cream pies, because they don´t have them here and I was craving them, so I decided we´d make those together as her first cookie experience. It was fun! My mother-in-law even joined in!


 I looked up the recipe, but I used this recipe for the marshmallow fluff. It came out a little more runny that the store-bought kind, but it tasted the same. And we dyed the marshmallow fluff green.

The only change we made was that we made homemade corn syrup. My niece had never used food coloring before! (I know, what do these children DO all day?!? Ha.)

They were a big hit with everyone. Even Jairo. And that´s saying something, because he´s generally a party-pooper when it comes to sweets. They weren´t really too much like the store-bought kind, but they were good!

It was fun to spend some ¨girl time¨, and even more fun because I was the only one who had really ever baked before, so it was funny to watch them learn and try things. It made me wish Bella were a little older so we could do those things together, but that time will come!

No comments:

Post a Comment