Friday, October 28, 2011

30 Days to Being a Purposeful Mommy, Day 23

Day 23: Say ¨I love you¨!

I was shocked to learn when I got married that there are actually families in this world who do not say ¨I love you¨ to each other every day. When I was growing up, we always told each other ¨I love you¨. Before bed, before hanging up the phone, before someone left to go somewhere, and just randomly, too, we made sure to say those three little words.

In my husband´s family, however, they hardly ever say those words. And despite having a wonderful family full of people who obviously love him, my husband still doubts their love for him. He feels their love is conditional, and can be revoked at any moment based on some personal failure.

I think of the two options, the better one is to overuse these words rather than to underuse them. I would rather my kids (and my husband) be sick of hearing how much I love them and how proud I am of them rather than to ever have the smallest doubt of my love.

No matter how old your kids are, it´s never too late (or too early) to start telling them what´s on your heart. It doesn´t matter if they reciprocate or not. Just say it. Say it often. Say it every day. Make it a habit. You won´t regret it, and you will be laying the groundwork for a sense of security that will last until adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment